Are you suffering from the 100% CPU usage issue? Don’t worry… Although it’s incredibly frustrating, you’re definitely not the only person to experience this problem. Thousands of users have recently reported the very same issue. More importantly, you should be able to fix it pretty easily.
How to Fix 100% CPU Usage in Windows
Method 1. Fix High RAM on Windows 10 with Adjust for Best Performance
In order to get the most out of your computer, Microsoft has put settings in place which allow you to optimize its performance and fix high RAM problem. When you adjust your PC for the best performance, it delivers high performance to you by ensuring that no unnecessary files are compromising your CPU and RAM and that each process in the computer is running smoothly.
- Open Windows 10 File Explorer. You can do it by double-clicking My Computer/This PC shortcut.
- Right click This PC icon on the left panel, then select Properties.
- Click on Advanced system settings on the dialogue box that opens.
- On the new small window, open Advanced tab.
- Click the Settings button in Performance section. Another new window will open.
- Select Adjust for best performance, then click OK to apply.
As you can see, when you select Adjust for best performance, the extra settings for appearance are unticked. These features will be disabled for best performance.
If you find that you have too many files and data on your Windows 10 computer, you can also choose to free up space on Windows 10. Just be cautious of deleting important photos or videos, in which case photo recovery software will be needed.
Method 2. How to Fix High CPU Usage with Registry Editor
- Press Windows Key and R key together. The Run dialogue will pop up.
- Type in Regedit in the box, and then press the Enter key
- Find and access HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Memory Management
- Right-click on ClearPageFileAtShutDown, then choose Modify… and change the value to 1.
- After the changes have been applied, restart your computer.
Method 3. How to Fix High RAM Usage by Disabling Startup Programs
There are a few applications that automatically start running form the moment you turn on your computer. The apps running in the background may hinder other applications from running smoothly. By preventing unnecessary applications from automatically running during booting, you can help save precious RAM space.
- Right click on task bar and open Task Manager. If it is a small window popping up, please click More details button to expand it.
- On Task Manager window, open Startup tab.
- Look through the list of applications that can run at start-up automatically.
- Right click on the applications you wish to disable.
- Click Disable button to remove it from startup list.
Method 4. How to Fix High CPU Usage Windows 10 by Adjusting Driver
Some users have reported that the fault of excessive RAM and CPU usage is due to a driver that is faulty. You can fix this issue with the following steps:
- Press Windows key and X key at the same time, then choose Device Manager on the popup.
- Right click on Disk drives, then choose Scan for hardware changes.
- If it finds any change that can possibly cause the high CPU usage issue, then you can right click on the driver and choose Update driver or Uninstall and re-install driver.
Method 5. How to Fix High RAM Usage by Optimizing Hard Drives
You can also optimize your hard drives to help your computer run more efficiently, or analyze them to find out if they need to be optimized. The optimization can be scheduled, but if you have never set that, please follow steps below to do it manually.
- Open Run dialogue by pressing Windows Key and R key at the same time.
- Type dfrgui in the box and then hit Enter Key.
- Select the hard drives that you wish to defragment, such as the C drive or the D drive.
- Click on Optimize.
It will save you a lot of memory space in Windows 10 RAM by defragmenting and optimizing all your hard drives.