In Simple term when ever you try to install or uninstall any application with Windows Installer (.msi) or executable which Calles msiexec.exe or while updating windows 7 with windows updater, windows installer / windows explorer trows an error “Windows Explorer has stopped working” or “Windows Installer has stopped working”.
In Event Viewer, an Error level log is been recorded, and has the details similar to below:
Method 1: Registry Edit
- Click on start and Typeregedit on search bar (on RUN command)
- Navigate to following key
- Now delete all string key except default inside“DisabledSessions”
Method 2: Disabling CEIP Customer Experience Improvement Program
- Click start and typegpedit.msc on search bar or on RUN command
- Now navigate to
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Internet Communication Management, and then click Internet Communication settings
- LocateTurn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, double click or right click edit.
- Click onEnable. Apply and Ok and close gpedit window.
We need to wait until Microsoft fixes the issue and issues a hotfix.